Promo Category for the site

Show other members your collection

Re: Promo Category for the site

Postby Megadave » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:15 pm

mmmhhh...

there is a similar discussion in topic called :"1000items listed on this site"...
is the same reason why we have decided to not included ost and compilation in the archive...
Paul...they're official stuff too...have u got an idea how many items we should include?...and they're cds...vinyls..tapes...promo..

and about stuff like promo items...u must included...to be correct...official...shirts,hats or stickers...lighter...jacket,awards with platinum or gold disc......

Like Norman has said...long time ago...It's still quite hard to "complete" the Pearl Jam discography(now, the related too..)....but it's only my little opinion...i don't want to be the bad guy here too...we are in democracy....
Mention this to me
Mention something, mention anything

........and watch the weather change.
Megadave

Postby norman-grunge » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:24 pm

pdalowsky wrote:Dave there are so many cool PJ items out there I think they should be added in their own subsection. That wouldnt hurt anything and would just make the library more complete, after all this is a Pearl Jam Collectors site 'the most extensive overall view of Official Pearl jam items in the www'......

Not sure why it has to be a discography thats all?? are we not trying to be completist in terms of Pj collecting?

Sorry Paul I'm not with you. The idea behind PJC is to show the Pearl Jam discography (even if it is not said exctly in the title). Wouldn't be a real fan to show these items on PJC. I think therefore PJVM would be a cool place. We have to add a lot of PJ recordings to our site. It still hurts to see our incomplete vinyl section.

It would be cool to have a function that everybody can create his own collection from the database. BUT without a value listing.
One hand will wash the other!
norman-grunge

Postby stupidmop » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:40 am

norman-grunge wrote:It would be cool to have a function that everybody can create his own collection from the database. BUT without a value listing.

Great Idea Norman!
[url][img]
Code: Select all
[list][/list]
[/img][/url]
stupidmop

Postby pdalowsky » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:44 am

ok guys, was just an idea...

if its unpopular thats cool....

I'm a completist too, hence the idea, and would love to see if there are other items out there that I have not picked up on yet that i should go hunting for.....

IMHO it seems daft to hang back from taking on other avenues because the vinyl is incomplete. The only reason i initially mentioned is that when you see the some of these things up close, they are so cool its untrue, I must say the JD mini;s for example are a one off, unlike the 40 or so different pressings of ten that are all almost identical yet just as important. For me these form an important part of the history too...

But like i say, i'm really cool with this staying a discography, i had just never understood it to be that....my apologies.

As a side issue, i would love to see soundtracks added too.....but lets not start on that one too!!
pdalowsky

Postby massimo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:03 pm

I think that IF Vic care to develop the PJVM the best way is to choose from the homepage the section, discography or museum but a ONE POINT OF ENTRY.
Now is up to Vic first and than the community.
massimo

Postby VicSpeed » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:47 am

I think we can develop a PJVM without finishing ALL the PJ discography sections... (btw... is possible to END the discography?)

the big problem as I stated some posts ago is to solve a "organization" for ALL the promo items.

if we finally want to create a PJVM (we ALL decide, this is OUR site, everybody can express his/her feelings)... there will be some work to do

1. we need to know what we want to include... what must be considered a promo item?
2. how can we show it?... I remeber some ago I made a categorization: Tour Promo Items, etc... (i will try to find it)
3. we will need to change the layout. dont know if you like the present website navigation... but is not possible to show MORE menus or links at the top.
4. we will need to make some changes at the backoffice...
VicSpeed

Postby pdalowsky » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:50 am

VicSpeed wrote:I think we can develop a PJVM without finishing ALL the PJ discography sections... (btw... is possible to END the discography?)

the big problem as I stated some posts ago is to solve a "organization" for ALL the promo items.

if we finally want to create a PJVM (we ALL decide, this is OUR site, everybody can express his/her feelings)... there will be some work to do

1. we need to know what we want to include... what must be considered a promo item?
2. how can we show it?... I remeber some ago I made a categorization: Tour Promo Items, etc... (i will try to find it)
3. we will need to change the layout. dont know if you like the present website navigation... but is not possible to show MORE menus or links at the top.
4. we will need to make some changes at the backoffice...
]

your the man Vic, whatever you think is best I'll go with....
pdalowsky

Postby massimo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:25 am

VicSpeed wrote:I think we can develop a PJVM without finishing ALL the PJ discography sections... (btw... is possible to END the discography?)

No!

VicSpeed wrote:1. we need to know what we want to include... what must be considered a promo item?

Official promo item in my mind are the items produced by Sony/Epic/J records to promote the new release:
i.e :
Doormat, Jam, Basketball, green ball, Jack Daniels tin, matchbox, Puppy dog, etc.... every items that have referenced by Epic.
Official merch, item sold during all the tour, t-shirts, stickers, tour programs, hoodies, hats, etc..,
Official live item, item that use the band live, drum stick, picks, backstage passes, toumburine, etc...
Than we should show also all the newsletters, we can make a "Miscellanous category or somethings like that"

VicSpeed wrote:3. we will need to change the layout. dont know if you like the present website navigation... but is not possible to show MORE menus or links at the top.

I remeber you done a "demo", do you still have it?

VicSpeed wrote:4. we will need to make some changes at the backoffice...

I think there's no problem about that
massimo

Postby pdalowsky » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:39 am

a few others Massimo,

the no code calculator
and the promo photos....
pdalowsky

Postby massimo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:09 am

pdalowsky wrote:a few others Massimo,

the no code calculator
and the promo photos....

Abosolutly yes, both in the same category!
massimo

Postby VicSpeed » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:13 am

ok we can start here: building the "PJVM structure"
VicSpeed

Postby Yuri » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:30 am

It all sounds interesting guys. I need to read all the posts again, but I like Norman's answers a lot ;)
"I'll ride the wave...where it takes me..."
Utrecht 1992 - Pukkelpop 95 (Mirrorball) - Paris 96 - Paris 00 - Pinkpop 00 - Seattle 02 - Arnhem 06 - Antwerp 06 - Copenhagen 07 - Nijmegen 07 - Rotterdam 09.
Yuri

Postby norman-grunge » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:56 pm

Yuri wrote:It all sounds interesting guys. I need to read all the posts again, but I like Norman's answers a lot ;)

Thank you Yuri. ;)

But why is nobody talking about the idea to have a function like on EB that everybody can create his own collection? I hink this would be way cooler. So Vic will this be ever possible? :|
One hand will wash the other!
norman-grunge

Postby massimo » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:32 am

I'm for both the idea!
I think is time to have also a collection of PJ's official memorabilia and if Vic thinks is possible also a sleeve!
massimo

Postby VicSpeed » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:51 am

okok

let's see... i suggest to make FIRST the PJVM... being honest I'm not sure I can build the "private collections" as EB lists functions.

friends dont forget I am the one and only programmer of the site (any help will be very appreciated, sure!), and I have a full time job and a freelance job on evenings and weekends.

what i'm trying to say is that I dont have a lot of time and all changes will come slow... hope you understand me!
VicSpeed

PreviousNext

Return to Private Collections