2006 boots ready :D

Show other members your collection

Re: 2006 boots ready :D

Postby monkeewrench » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:25 pm

rival wrote:I figured this was probably the best thread to ask in. Really hoping someone can help me out.

A few years back there was a french Pearl Jam site that had various fonts that PJ had used over the years. One of the fonts was the 2005 NA/SA bootleg font. I thought I still had it but I guess not. Now, trying to find it has become impossible.

I'm hoping there's some bootleg savvy people around here who may have hopefully grabbed that font and can share it with me. I would really appreciate it. Please let me know via PM.

Thanks a lot in advance.

EDIT: The site might actually have been Italian. I came across a site that acknowledged "www.longroad.it for providing the fonts for the artwork." but the site is now dead. So maybe if it was an Italian site, there might be people on here who can help if they know someone who's into boot art.

here's another resource for PJ fonts: http://www.geocities.ws/prairie_pj/fonts.html
monkeewrench

Postby rival » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:07 pm

I wanted to share my little project with everyone.

About a year or so back I went to listen to a 2005 show in my car and was amazed at how awful it sounded. No, it wasn't one of the Rockin In The Free World versions Sleater Kinney was singing on, there were these huge dead-air gaps between every song. Nothing worse when you're listening to a show with the volume up and the crowd and music disappear for a few seconds before every song.

Having a modest knowledge in audio software I thought I would try my hand at fixing the audio. But if I was going to do that, I would need to replace my 2005 set of bootlegs I personally ripped and created artwork for.

I spent a few weeks on photoshop re-purposing all the 2005 bootleg PDF's that were included with the original MP3 Downloads.
I cropped each front cover, modified the spines, and re-typed all the track listings to fit more aesthetically onto a label template I created using the measurements from an existing PJ bootleg. Finding the font proved to be the most difficult part of this process (see above post for font request).
There was someone on the official 10c forums who I know has made some unofficial stickers in the past. While I'm not one for collecting unofficial stickers, I did really like the quality of their work. And since, in theory, I needed "unofficial stickers" of my own, I approached them to see if they could help me out.

After some back and forth and me sending a few sample jpg's, they sent me a physical sample of what the label would look like finished/printed on sticker-backs. I was very pleased with the result so we went forward with the entire 31 shows (Tester included) from 2005.
There is a member on a few of the Pearl Jam forums who goes by the name coffeecup. He happens to also be my sister's boyfriend. He also happens to be huge into PJ recordings (both official and audience) and is very familiar with all kinds of audio software. In just one week, coffeecup took all the 2005 bootlegs, converted them to WAV files, spliced the dead air off the ends of every single song, re-attached the songs seamlessly, re marked the songs for tracking and uploaded them all as a torrent. So much work. A huge thanks to him. He pretty much did the heavy lifting.
I started ripping the shows on white-top, blank CD-R's so I could directly print the CD labels on them and not worry about stickers or lightscribing them. I used iTunes so I could include all the Meta Data I wanted for the shows, and then rip the CD's with data text on the CD so where ever these CD's get played, all the track/show information is on the CD's. I also purchased a pack of the cardboard eco-pack CD cases from Neato.com (a site previously discussed in this thread) and when the stickers and cases arrived, I went to work.
I have about 5 shows from the South American leg of the tour left to rip to CD, but for the most part this project is pretty much complete. I've been contemplating on whether or not I should include a stamp on the inside of each cardboard sleeve like NUGS did when Backspacer shows were being released. They had a "Pearl Jam" Backsapcer logo in theirs. I was thinking of creating a stamp and making one unique to 2005. Still undecided though.

Anyway, I would love to hear some feedback or constructive criticism regarding this project. I definitely took my time to make sure I didn't cut any corners and in my opinion, they're just a good as what Pearl Jam has been releasing over the past 7 years officially. Huge thanks again to those who helped me with this project. Certainly could not have done it alone.

Thanks for taking a look.
rival

Postby arq » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:36 pm

This is easily at a pro level, Amazing!
arq

Postby pdalowsky » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:20 pm

order placed :lol:
pdalowsky

Postby VicSpeed » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:52 pm

Simply awesome.

These are very similar to what i did for the 2006 pjc bootlegs.

Are you planning to produce some of them for fans? I am interested.

Congratulations for the good work!
VicSpeed

Postby rival » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:30 pm

VicSpeed wrote:Simply awesome.

These are very similar to what i did for the 2006 pjc bootlegs.

Are you planning to produce some of them for fans? I am interested.

Congratulations for the good work!

I had not planned on making any for others. Having said that, there has been a large amount of interest and I'm contemplating the idea of getting back in touch with the sticker guy to make more sets for those interested. It seems like a big undertaking though and I really don't want to deal with the ramifications if the stickers went missing or something after I took everyone's money.

I think for starters, I might offer up the extras I have left from my project to help off set the cost of the set I made. I have 19 empty cases and 31 stickers. I was thinking of selling 19 individual cases (without audio to avoid any legal implications from PJ) and if that works out well, See if there is interest in full sets of stickers. The thing about the stickers is it was done by someone who knew a guy in his hometown (which he no longer lives in). So even at the earliest, turn-around times would be in the 6-8 week area. That's a long time for impatient PJ fans. :lol:
rival

Postby leespj » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Awesome work. Is it possible to share the finished pdf or jpeg of each label ?

If they were shared everyone surely can then make their own.

Also was the torrent of the reworked files shared anywhere ?
leespj

Postby onestab27 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:26 pm

rival wrote:
I had not planned on making any for others. Having said that, there has been a large amount of interest and I'm contemplating the idea of getting back in touch with the sticker guy to make more sets for those interested. It seems like a big undertaking though and I really don't want to deal with the ramifications if the stickers went missing or something after I took everyone's money.

I think for starters, I might offer up the extras I have left from my project to help off set the cost of the set I made. I have 19 empty cases and 31 stickers. I was thinking of selling 19 individual cases (without audio to avoid any legal implications from PJ) and if that works out well, See if there is interest in full sets of stickers. The thing about the stickers is it was done by someone who knew a guy in his hometown (which he no longer lives in). So even at the earliest, turn-around times would be in the 6-8 week area. That's a long time for impatient PJ fans. :lol:

Yo, Rival! I'm doing something very similar with my 2005's, but I like your approach much better. Do you still have the artwork/photoshop files for the labels? Also - I'm (unfortunately) ripping these from MP3 as my FLAC drive crashed. Is the torrent for your seamless files still available?
onestab27

Previous

Return to Private Collections