GUITAR PICKS database

Share your thoughts about Posters and Memorabilia (Guitar Picks, Setlists, Backstage Passes, Other Stuff)

Re: GUITAR PICKS database

Postby rival » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:06 pm

^ There's a guy on eBay currently selling one of these. I stayed away from it as it's pretty suspicious. Taking to different era designs and combining them on one pick just seems fishy to me.

Unless you actually saw your girlfriend catch it, I'm not sure it's legit.

I was recently burned by a friend who said his friend caught a pick (one of Ed's) at a show. I showed him the evidence that it was fake and now he's a little less than pleased with his friend about lying to him.

I think a lot of people will say they caught a pick at a show when really they didn't because it sounds way cooler to have caught a pick rather than buy/trade for it online. Unfortunately, that's where stories are fabricated the easiest and bogus picks enter the collection community.

Sorry if this sounds a little cynical. Just after getting burned, it's easy to take a very objective look at all picks that don't look "normal."
Last edited by rival on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rival

Postby arq » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:11 pm

prl wrote:Image

Yeah, this is a fake pick, there are very few designs that go to one year to the other, Stone's signature, Jeff's basketball, Ed's lightblub and a few others, but after the rat picks the designs have been unique.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
I checked more deeply and I happy to eat my words, the pick is real, BUT is not a regular pick, it is a misprint, so it's an oddity and not cannon IMHO, but i repeat IT IS REAL! it was used by Stone on the 2003 tour. So please "prl" accept my apologies and my unnecessary smugness :oops:
Last edited by arq on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arq

Postby prl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:54 pm

rival wrote:^ There's a guy on eBay currently selling one of these. I stayed away from it as it's pretty suspicious. Taking to different era designs and combining them on one pick just seems fishy to me.

Unless you actually saw your girlfriend catch it, I'm not sure it's legit.

I was recently burned by a friend who said his friend caught it at a show. I showed him the evidence that it was fake and now he's a little less than pleased with his friend about lying to him.

I think a lot of people will say they caught a pick at a show when really they didn't because it sounds way cooler to have caught a pick rather than buy/trade for it online. Unfortunately, that's where stories are fabricated the easiest and bogus picks enter the collection community.

Sorry if this sounds a little cynical. Just after getting burned, it's easy to take a very objective look at all picks that don't look "normal."

Not cynical at all, I totally understand and that's why I asked :)

So to give you a little context: I usually go to Pearl Jam concerts with my girlfriend, but I couldn't make it to Dusseldorf 2007. She went with a group of friends of ours and they got front row. They all caught a lot of picks from Mike (around 15 or something like that) and in the end split the picks between all of them and a lot of other friends that couldn't make it there. Also one of them got a pick from Stone (this one I talked about) and my girlfriend ended up keeping it.

Here's a picture of all the picks they got plus the setlist... you can see the pick has the "Stone" from the 1998 pick:

The Tortex pick belongs to the opening band (Interpol)... so, I don't know whether it's false or not, but it really came from the show. My girlfriend is not a collector and couldn't care less about it. She's happy with the picks she got on a few shows we went to and it was by chance that I found out that her Stone pick was different.

Maybe it's false, I don't know... :)
prl

Postby arq » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:04 pm

Please read the Edit from my previous post!
arq

Postby massimo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:21 am

Great! Thanks for the info!
massimo

Postby prl » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Great arq, nice to know that! :)
prl

Previous

Return to Posters/Memorabilia