Aaron and Santa Cruz

Share your thoughts about Posters and Memorabilia (Guitar Picks, Setlists, Backstage Passes, Other Stuff)

Re: Aaron and Santa Cruz

Postby arq » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:41 pm

MLB.MB.PJ wrote:sorry about the long pause got a little busy and then last night I went to see Soundgarden open for the Seahawks. Then watched the Seahawks whip the Packers. Fun night...AND I took my 10 year old son, his first time seeing Soundgarden and only his 2nd rock concert (Tom Petty/Joe Cocker was his first). Memories now being made by him...the circle of life...

Enough fuzzy stories! hit us with more rock and roll history!
arq

Postby MLB.MB.PJ » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:15 pm

One of my most prized framed items. The MLB issue of the Rocket. Its iconic.

OK…Rock and roll history…

Andrew Wood will never get the credit he really deserves. Is that true? Have you listened to Apple? That’s my first question. Very few people actually saw him live, in the grand scheme of, you know, THE WORLD. So not a lot of exposure. Mark Bolan at least has “Bang a Gong” played on classic radio from time to time and some would argue that it’s a classic rock staple right up there with “Rock On” by David Essex and “The Day the Music Died”.
I saw just that one show and I fell in love. Now heres the thing, MLB was not JUST Andrew Wood. Stone was perfecting his sound. He was finding his groove. Green River was three chord punk rock. I love some punk rock but lets face it, punk rock has no groove.
Bruce Fairweather, the other guitarist was a head banger. The whole show, he’d kind of thrash his long hair forward. And the rhythm section of Greg Gilmore and Jeff was as tight and a little funky. Jeff pogo’ed even then. But what really stood out was his hat, which would just end up being his famous style. I think the song I remember most was “Mindshaker Meltdown”
Just as the difference between Alice’s Facelift and Dirt, I believe Love Bone would have made the same size creative jump. Apple shows its flashes. At this point, I think, you would have really had to have seen MLB to really appreciate them. Their song writing was good but it was getting better and showing its glances of brilliance. Not only was Andy just becoming a more intimate and compelling song writer, Stone was also writing the best music of his life and really perfecting the style he wanted to play. I can only guess that rhythm section would continue to gel into a formidable pair. Why would I believe anything else? Jeff has proven, time and time again, that his rhythm section will be demanding and complex as well as incredibly in sync.
Consider this…have you heard the Ten bootleg that is just instrumentals? The very demo’s that Stone and Jeff used to shop for drummers and singers? Consider that MLB’s 2nd record. If Andy, who’s song writing was really starting to blossom.
“Come Bite the Apple”, “Stardog Champion” “Bone China” all show the illusionary that Andys lyrics were blossoming into.
Stargazer. This song should be played on classic radio just as much as “Rock On”. It has it all. Distinct guitar sounds. Beautiful vocals. Andy knew how to turn a phrase.
”Stargazer you call the shots and I take ‘em”
I think enough has been said about “Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns”. It is a masterpiece. I know you have heard the PJ version. But listen to the original. Fucking brilliant and it doesn’t get it due credit in the annals of rock and roll.
So when I hear the instrumentals, which I heard well after TEN, on a bootleg cassette, I think of how that could have been partly (in the least) the 2nd Love Bone record. Of course Andy would have added a song or two and he and stone would have probably written more together. Its not like these guys had been playing a long time together. Sure Jeff and Stone had the year or so in Green River, 2 years, tops. Then they did Love Bone. MLB had barely been a band for a year when the record labels started courting them.
And the story of Love Bones signing is Seattle legend, well known as the “Mother Love Bone Seattle Restaurant Tour” Every major label came to Seattle to pitch them a deal. Pretty much ALL of them. Contracts in hand. It was a big deal. They were in demand and they were looking for their dreams to come true. These guys, 20-21 year old guys, living their dreams. Literally, at least for Stone and Jeff, standing on the precipice of unbelievable success and considerable tragedy.
Andy wanted to be a huge rock star and singer of a legendary band. Isn’t it something that his band would kind of evolve into Pearl Jam? A band that eventually would become a legendary band in their own right?
Andrew Wood deserves his place in more mainstream rock and roll history. His songs deserve its credit for their originality and influence. I shudder to think how Love Bone would have responded to their time between records as Alice in Chains had. What kind of record would ten be with Andy at the lyrical and vocal controls.
You’ve heard Pearl Jams “Footsteps” and Temples “Times of Trouble”. It’s the exact same song with two different lyricists/vocalist’s inspiration. The same exact music instrumentally with completely different vocals. Can you imagine “Alive” or “Black” or “Footsteps” itself interpretated any other way? Andy’s way? Its all what if’s and could have beens. What it all actually became next was fate. It has to be.

And I think Andrew Woods legend should be on par with that of Sid Barrett and Mick Jones.
MLB.MB.PJ

Postby MLB.MB.PJ » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:16 am

I know you remember this list…but if I use all of 1990 – 1992 and add a couple records, the list becomes even more impressive…

Black Crowes – Shake Your Moneymaker 01/28/90
Nine Inch Nails – Head Like a Hole 04/07/90
Mother Love Bone – Apple 07/19/90
Alice In Chains – Facelift 08/21/90
Janes Addiction – Ritual de lo Habitual 08/21/90
Queensryche – Empire 09/04/90
Screaming Trees- Sweet Oblivian 01/29/91
Tragically Hip – Road Apples 02/19/91
Lenny Kravitz – Mama Said 04/02/91
Temple of the Dog 04/16/91
Smashing Pumpkins – Gish 05/28/91
Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing 07/31/91
Metallica- Metallica (Black Album) 08/12/91
Nirvana – Nevermind 08/23/91
Pearl Jam – Ten 08/27/91
Guns N Roses – Use Your Illusion Vol 1 & 2 09/17/91
Red Hot Chili Peppers – Blood Sugar Sex Magik 09/24/91
Soundgarden – Badmotorfinger 10/08/91
Tool – Opiate 03/10/92
Alice In Chains – Sap (EP) 03/21/92
Singles Soundtrack 06/30/92
Screaming Trees- Sweet Oblivion 09/08/92
Blaind Melon – Blind Melon 09/22/92
Nine Inch Nails – Broken ( EP) 09/22/92
Alice in Chains – Dirt 09/29/92
Tragically Hip- Fully Completely 10/06/92

I included the Tragically Hip because I can, its my list. I know you probably don’t recognize the name. And if I said that I thought they were the Pearl Jam of Canada but different you'd either be pissed I’d compare PJ like that or not understand. But they are amazing and I highly suggest them.

Many People forget that Blind Melon recorded their record in Seattle and while the Seattle bands were playing their club shows, Blind Melon was playing in clubs around the city a little bit too. I saw then at the RKCNDY.

Shannon Hoon is a little bit more recognized than Andrew Wood, but he too should be remembered as one of the great purveyors of his time. He too was blossoming as an artist. Blind Melons record was a monster hit for a debut release. He also sang on GnR’s “Don’t Cry” from “Use Your Illusion”

I miss rock and roll. I miss the danger. I miss the discovery. I miss real radio.
MLB.MB.PJ

Postby rival » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:32 pm

I had no idea Shannon sang on "Don't Cry." As soon as I read that though I could hear it in my head. That's a neat little bit of trivia.

As always, thanks for the stories.
rival

Postby norman-grunge » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 pm

I am not sure but I think you can see Shannon also in the video for Don't Cry.
One hand will wash the other!
norman-grunge

Postby arq » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:20 am

norman-grunge wrote:I am not sure but I think you can see Shannon also in the video for Don't Cry.

Yes you can see it on the top of the building...
arq

Postby rival » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:00 am

arq wrote:
norman-grunge wrote:I am not sure but I think you can see Shannon also in the video for Don't Cry.

Yes you can see it on the top of the building...

Yeah, but then I'd have to go watch the video again...
rival

Postby rival » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Friendly bump for those who may have missed this excellent thread. Great reading for a Sunday morning.
rival

Postby dangerboy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:11 am

MLB.MB.PJ wrote:I miss rock and roll. I miss the danger. I miss the discovery. I miss real radio.

as someone who was in rock radio from 1990-2004, i really love this statement.
dangerboy

Postby PJmouse » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:19 am

I just stayed up waaaaay past my bedtime to read this, and am in awe,thank you, more please?
PJmouse

Postby MLB.MB.PJ » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:09 am

The RKCNDY was on the corner of Yale and Howell. Just down the street, after Howell becomes Eastlake Ave was the Off-Ramp (now the El Corizon). The RKCNDY had a small parking lot next to the building and the bands loaded in from there into the back of the club. After the load in a few guys gathered in a circle in the parking lot and passed a couple pipes around. Eddie and Mike among them.

Remember, they were just guys in a band. They loaded in their own gear, they drove crummy cars, there were no crowds, there were no cameras. Just a few guys passing around a couple pipes, bullshitting and enjoying the sunshine.

At some point someone asked Mike about Ten. Mike, in amazement, told whoever had asked that they had shipped 30,000 copies. There was a general congratulatory and admired reaction from the group. Then Eddie said “That’s more people than the town I grew up in”. They were both nothing but humble and affable about it.

Back when there was a music business and people actually bought CD’s, shipping 30,000 units on a debut album was a pretty good commitment from Epic considering the amount of airplay “Alive” was getting when it was first released. They were getting radio play in Seattle but the rest of Americas radio stations had to be convinced not just to “add” the record to the rotation but to also give the song enough spins to get noticed. Once you got enough spins you might be able to convince MTV to play the video.

Before the second President Bush deregulated media laws, any one corporation could not own more than one media outlet in any media market. Meaning a big corporation could not own more than one tv station and one radio station in any media market. Those laws were in place to assure that different opinions and voices could be heard. But some of Bush’s big shot media buddies pressured him into deregulating the industry. It robbed every city in American the opportunity to have independent radio. Most local, independent media companies were bought up by the giant media corporations. Then one media giant would go on to own the Rock/Modern Rock, Alternative, Classic Rock and Adult Alternative radio stations in most of the major markets. Now instead of a radio station choosing independently what music it would play, the corporate office then dictated not only the playlist but also the airplay schedule. The exact same playlist and airplay schedule in every market.

The pre-deregulation radio station would decide which music to give its airtime to. Record companies hired promotions staff to get the records played but breaking new bands was always a difficult proposition. Convincing the Music Director at a radio station in Cincinnati or Corpus Christi or St Louis to play the music of some new band from Seattle, to give it air play that the station would otherwise commit to AC/DC or Led Zeppelin to please their masses and get ratings could be difficult and take months to get any decent airplay.

So the record company would have to consider how many units to commit to shipping to retail locations based on the amount of airplay the band was getting. Which at this time it wasn’t Best Buy or Walmart. It was Tower or any other of the many national and local independent record stores there where around then. Record stores had a culture. You could walk up the aisles and browse through actual vinyl albums and later CD long boxes. They all played music. Usually something you had never heard before. Even the most rural independent record store would have some level of a subversive feel to it.

The record company still had to convince the record store to actually stock the records. Shelf space was limited and to give up that space the stores wanted to know that they would have customers looking for it. There were only two ways to assure potential customers was radio play and tour stops. Get the airplay from the local station and you are likely to get the stores to carry it.

Projected sales would also dictate the amount of advertising the company would commit to. Retail advertising could be expensive. And why spend that money and provide that space for a band with very little airplay when you could spend it on the new Michael Jackson record? But as radio play increased the more shelf space and advertising dollars would be spent to drive sales. Hopefully, If your record takes off. Ten was a slow build. It took months to take a foothold across America. Alive would eventually get pretty moderate airplay. Even Flow helped keep up the pace. But Jeremy blew the record up.

It took three singles. It was nearly a year after it had been released before it really exploded. Of course the band was phenomenal live and that gave legitimacy to the record. Eventually Ten went on to incredible sales numbers. But it didn’t start like that right out of the gate.

Fast forward to the release of VS and they sold a million copies in a week. I thought of Mike and Eddie being amazed at just shipping 30,000 records.
Last edited by MLB.MB.PJ on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MLB.MB.PJ

Postby MLB.MB.PJ » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:11 am

Bathtub Gin had a cassette release party. Yes cassette. CD’s were a pretty new technology and producing CD’s was costly for an unsigned band with no money. They probably made 500 cassettes for less than it would cost to make 100 CD’s. It was really just a glorified demo. So they held a release party at a tavern in Pioneer Square. Mike and Dave stopped by. There was a seating area in the front window looking out into Pioneer Square and we all had taken up in the two large booths in windows. This was right at the start of the BIG Seattle hype and the club was standing room only as capacity had been reached. And a line formed outside the door.

I will never forget seeing the looks on some people’s faces as they passed by the club and looked in the window to see Dave and Mike there. It was loud in the club and we couldn’t hear their reactions and not everyone recognized them. But some did and they all eventually walked down and got in line.

Bathtub Gin played a private party with Pete Droge’s band Ramadillo. The host was an artist and his living space was half of the third floor of a building on 2nd Ave in Belltown. The had these giant painings on the wall of women in all sorts of sexual situations. There was also several semi-large wooden statues of gargoyles, dragons and naked women. The bands played against a wall in the living room. The place was filled with scenesters. Club owners, managers, booking agents, promoters, musicians, artists, radio people, a few sub pop folks.

A small group of us kinda gathered together in a corner around a 4 foot wooden gargoyle just inside the door. We could see where the bands where playing from where we were when up walks Cantrell. He has two girls with him that, I’m sorry, could only be described as looking like strippers. Not judging and not saying they were. Just saying they might have sorta looked like it. I had brought a bag of weed with me but I didn’t have anything to smoke it with. So I told one of the girls that if she had anything to smoke it with, I’d get her high all night. She reached into her over-sized bag and pulled out an 18” bong. Then reached back in and pulled out a small Tupperware filled with water. She filled the bong, put the empty Tupperware back in her bag and handed me the bong. After it was passed around a couple times we hear Droge say over his microphone “Something smells good in here. What do you have cooking in that kitchen?”.
MLB.MB.PJ

Postby MLB.MB.PJ » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:15 am

I was involved in 5 benefit shows at KGRG and booked 4 of them. Posies and Presidents of the USA, Love Battery and Goodness, Mudhoney and the Fastbacks , and MxPx and Skiploader. None of the bands were paid for playing as they were benefits. I was proud to have helped in the legacy of the KGRG benefit shows. When the POTUSA played their fame was just starting to rise with “Lump”. Had we asked them a year later they wouldn’t have been able to fit it in their schedule. Mudhoney were as obnoxious as you’d expect them to be on stage but off stage were cool and even cleaned up after themselves before they left. By the MxPx show I had kind of figured out how to promote a show. I somehow finagled some poster to be made and hired a local artist to design them. It turned out being the biggest fund raiser of them all.

At Immortal I put together a few showcases for the bands on the label. Incubus, The Urge and Far played a showcase at the Gavin Music Conference in San Diego one year. We did a Korn fan club only show at the Roxy in Hollywood just after the release of their 2nd record. I hired the same artist from the KGRG poster to do the poster for the Korn event. We had 150 invited fan club guests and everyone who attended got a signed and numbered print. I don’t like Korn, but c’mon, it was a cool deal or the Korn fans.

Of all the bands at Immortal that I worked with, besides Goodness, Far was the band that really should have gotten some attention. They were really good. I understand the success of Incubus and I really like them and their music. But Far was better than Incubus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX75EHwOASA

“Mother Mary” by Far was being played on KNDD “The End” in Seattle and we quickly arranged a show for them in Seattle to help promote the record. I called my little small town high school and arranged for Far to play at my old high school at lunch and routed them through my hometown on their way back down the coast. They were great about it and drove the 60 miles out of the way to play the lunchtime show. The kids at my former school loved it because it wasn’t everyday a band getting played on the radio played in the courtyard at lunch. The band sold a bunch of cd’s to the students and had a great time. I thought that was pretty cool.
MLB.MB.PJ

Postby VicSpeed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:45 pm

AWESOME.

Thanks again.

Saw the The Urge + Incubus + KoRn tour in Madrid, back in 1996 (maybe 1997), and was an epic show.
VicSpeed

Postby norman-grunge » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:49 pm

I love Far's Water & Solution album. Such a great piece of music. Sadly they didn't have the success like Korn and Incubus. Saw Jonah Matranga many times at solo shows. He has a great voice and is a super nice guy.
One hand will wash the other!
norman-grunge

PreviousNext

Return to Posters/Memorabilia