Guitar pick database

Share your thoughts about Posters and Memorabilia (Guitar Picks, Setlists, Backstage Passes, Other Stuff)

Re: Guitar pick database (updated)

Postby arq » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:28 pm

rival wrote:
arq wrote:Thanks Scott, good eye, I added to the database and ISO, I don't know if I should be pissed or happy :lol:

The record one has the same flipside as the lightning bolt one. It has that charcoal drawing on the reverse side.

Updated! thanks again! 8-)
arq

Postby rival » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:31 am

Wondering bout this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Jam-Eddie ... 3cda12254d

It looks like Stone's "Sold To At Birth" pick but this one is yellow (not orange) and is only one sided. The seller claims it's Ed's but I've never seen one like this before. Possibly a mis-print?
rival

Postby arq » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:05 am

rival wrote:Wondering bout this one...

It looks like Stone's "Sold To At Birth" pick but this one is yellow (not orange) and is only one sided. The seller claims it's Ed's but I've never seen one like this before. Possibly a mis-print?

I know the guy, he used to collect picks but he is not a PJ expert, I don't know the story behind that pick but it could be a miss print or maybe even a fake BUT that guy has/had some really nice picks, but like I said he is no expert on PJ.
arq

Postby elwayvedder » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:06 am

arq wrote:
rival wrote:Wondering bout this one...

I know the guy, he used to collect picks but he is not a PJ expert, I don't know the story behind that pick but it could be a miss print or maybe even a fake BUT that guy has/had some really nice picks, but like I said he is no expert on PJ.

I have this pick and got it from a trusted source we both know who is most generous and used to get his stuff directly from someone tied to the band. It's the real deal. I also have the regular orange version with print on both sides. The yellow was explained to me that it is Stone's and a mis-print.
elwayvedder

Postby arq » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:06 pm

Misprint added.

Sold at birth without the white lines.
arq

Postby rival » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:16 pm

I remember talk of a lot of Eddie's Batman picks being fake. I can't remember who posted it or where to find the examples but I remember someone saying they could tell the fakes from the real ones by the printing process on the pick itself. The real ones are a screen print and smooth around the edges whereas the fake ones look like they went through a computer printer and you can see the print lines. Jose, if you want to grab the pictures in this auction as an example for fakes, I think this illustrates very well the printing lines someone was talking about. you need to view the "zoomed in" pictures to see the lines but they're there very clearly IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Jam-Eddie ... 27dcdddba0
rival

Postby norman-grunge » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:19 pm

I thought this seller only sells real stuff like the Jeff pick and the sold Stone pick.
One hand will wash the other!
norman-grunge

Postby rival » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:27 pm

norman-grunge wrote:I thought this seller only sells real stuff like the Jeff pick and the sold Stone pick.

My guess is that he doesn't know it's fake. Or maybe he is aware that it's fake and its just playing it off like he doesn't. just trying to get some money back for it if he paid a bit for it. Who knows.

I agree, his/her stuff is normally legit. This one doesn't appear to be.
rival

Postby arq » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Fakes updated
arq

Postby rival » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Jose, those updated fake picks with description look great. Thanks for doing that.

I also wanted to post this one: http://i.imgur.com/INO9unI.jpg I'm not saying it's a fake. It very well could be real. I don't know. This was an auction from a few weeks ago. The seller claims it is a very rare Stone pick that he caught when Pearl Jam were playing in Mexico in 2003. I had never seen it but I took screen grabs of the images for us to discuss. I'm curious if anyone has any info on this one.
rival

Postby arq » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:05 pm

rival wrote:Jose, those updated fake picks with description look great. Thanks for doing that.

I also wanted to post this one: http://i.imgur.com/INO9unI.jpg I'm not saying it's a fake. It very well could be real. I don't know. This was an auction from a few weeks ago. The seller claims it is a very rare Stone pick that he caught when Pearl Jam were playing in Mexico in 2003. I had never seen it but I took screen grabs of the images for us to discuss. I'm curious if anyone has any info on this one.

I got it, I know the seller, I double checked with a guy I know works as a roadie in Mexico, it's the same guy who got me Matt's white pick, he said they got a few goodies from the PJ crew back in 2003, both stories matched, so chances are it is real, as soon as I receive it I'll check if it's tortex.
arq

Postby rival » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:22 pm

How can ou tell by looking at a plain pick if it's Tortex or not?
rival

Postby arq » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:51 pm

rival wrote:How can ou tell by looking at a plain pick if it's Tortex or not?

I'm a wizard! :lol:

It's impossible to be 100% certain, tortex picks are normally matte, the edges are rounded, and they have a specific shape different from other brands.

I'll wait to get it to be 100% certain, the color and shape MUST match previous Stone's picks; I've spoken with other picks collectors (not PJ exclusive) and they backed up the seller, another collector from EU was after this pick because he heard about it years ago, but never saw it, until this seller put it on eBay, I guess the pick didn't sell for tons of money because it is so rare (like Matt's pick when it popped up on eBay) people gets nervous and doesn't bid.
arq

Postby VicSpeed » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 am

rival wrote:I remember talk of a lot of Eddie's Batman picks being fake. I can't remember who posted it or where to find the examples but I remember someone saying they could tell the fakes from the real ones by the printing process on the pick itself. The real ones are a screen print and smooth around the edges whereas the fake ones look like they went through a computer printer and you can see the print lines. Jose, if you want to grab the pictures in this auction as an example for fakes, I think this illustrates very well the printing lines someone was talking about. you need to view the "zoomed in" pictures to see the lines but they're there very clearly IMO.

I opened a thread about fake batman picks some months ago:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2815

But these are different.... check the "kapow" letters...
VicSpeed

Postby arq » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:11 pm

VicSpeed wrote:
rival wrote:I remember talk of a lot of Eddie's Batman picks being fake. I can't remember who posted it or where to find the examples but I remember someone saying they could tell the fakes from the real ones by the printing process on the pick itself. The real ones are a screen print and smooth around the edges whereas the fake ones look like they went through a computer printer and you can see the print lines. Jose, if you want to grab the pictures in this auction as an example for fakes, I think this illustrates very well the printing lines someone was talking about. you need to view the "zoomed in" pictures to see the lines but they're there very clearly IMO.

I opened a thread about fake batman picks some months ago:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2815

But these are different.... check the "kapow" letters...

I completely forgot about that thread, if you don't mind I'll add it!
arq

PreviousNext

Return to Posters/Memorabilia