Calling all handwriting experts! 1991 Set List question...

Share your thoughts about Posters and Memorabilia (Guitar Picks, Setlists, Backstage Passes, Other Stuff)

Calling all handwriting experts! 1991 Set List question...

Postby grdesigner » Tue May 10, 2011 1:05 am

Hey guys,

OK, so I recently acquired an original 1991 Pearl Jam set list :o I know, shocking. I am 100% positive it is original but I'm not sure which band member (if any) actually penned it. As some of you may remember, I am an avid set list, handwritten items collector so 99% of the time I can pin these things down but I really want some other opinions... Here is where you come in. The person whom I acquired it from originally thought it was Jeff's writing but I've seen a few early Pearl Jam set lists and Jeff clearly had his own unique writing style so I really don't believe it is his. The item in question is the first picture below.
Based on the letter 'V' in 'Alive' and the letter 'Y' in Jeremy I am leaning to believe that this may be Ed's writing although it is not too reminiscent of his current writing or most of what I have seen, remember, this is from 1991. Anyway, now this picture below is a crop of an authentic signature from 1991, note the similarity of the letter 'V'
Below is also another authentic piece, this time from 1995
And finally, below is a set list from 1997 and the way in which the letter 'Y' is written is consistent with the 'Y' in the word 'Jeremy' from the set list in question. As you can see, the style of the Y is unique as it is a U shape with a straight line drawn under it, not how I've seen most people write that letter!

Now besides thinking I am crazy for taking the time to do this, please let me know what you think about the set list in question! If there was any place in the world where people would understand my curiosity about this I believe it would be here!

George
grdesigner

Re: Calling all handwriting experts! 1991 Set List question.

Postby Black Pearl » Tue May 10, 2011 8:41 am

Regardless of who wrote it ... I am very jealous! :) Those are some really cool items!

I'm definitely no expert, but if the other items were written by Ed, I'd say the first one is too. Some of the writing in the artwork of the albums is also Ed's writing. Perhaps you could check against them for some of the older stuff?
"If you're not confused, you're not really paying attention to what's going on"
(Arnhem 2006 - Antwerpen 2006 - Verona 2006 - Düsseldorf 2007 - Werchter 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Nijmegen 2010 - Amsterdam II 2012 - Berlin 2012 - EV Amsterdam I 2012)
Black Pearl

Postby pdalowsky » Tue May 10, 2011 9:20 am

George, Im very very sure its Ed's also.

almost 100%.

But if you wanna scan it and email it to me i will make some solid enquries for you
pdalowsky

Postby massimo » Tue May 10, 2011 9:31 am

I have a setlist handwritten by EV, so I can try to compare the letters
massimo

Postby grdesigner » Tue May 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks guys, Paul, I will PM or email you, Massimo, what year is your set from?
grdesigner

Postby massimo » Tue May 10, 2011 3:47 pm

grdesigner wrote:Thanks guys, Paul, I will PM or email you, Massimo, what year is your set from?

Should be middle '90, I need to check. the set list is handwrittenn by the guitar tech (as most of them) but there's the word "Alive" handwritten by ED
massimo

Postby grdesigner » Sun May 22, 2011 2:27 pm

I really expected more feedback from you guys! This is a treasure, rarer than any promo cd!
grdesigner

Postby pdalowsky » Sun May 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Still waiting your email George?
pdalowsky

Postby grdesigner » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:29 pm

I'll be emailing it soon Paul, just need to scan it. Thanks for the reminder!
grdesigner

Postby rival » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:43 am

This is a great thread. I contacted someone about a set list on ebay. they only had little cropped photos of the set list and they didn't know what show it was from. I got them to send a full scan and did a little cross referencing and found out it was from a show in Perth Australia on March 6th 1995. Which is funny because the seller was pretty confident it was from a "local show in the Seattle area."

Anyways, I could tell right off the bat that it was Ed's writing. It looks like this site/forum doesn't let you upload pics so if you'd like to see it, send me a PM and I'll email it.
rival

Postby pdalowsky » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:14 am

rival wrote:This is a great thread. I contacted someone about a set list on ebay. they only had little cropped photos of the set list and they didn't know what show it was from. I got them to send a full scan and did a little cross referencing and found out it was from a show in Perth Australia on March 6th 1995. Which is funny because the seller was pretty confident it was from a "local show in the Seattle area."

Anyways, I could tell right off the bat that it was Ed's writing. It looks like this site/forum doesn't let you upload pics so if you'd like to see it, send me a PM and I'll email it.

Hey scott

Photos are cool here - just use the Img tab like at the official forum
pdalowsky

Postby rival » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:00 am

pdalowsky wrote:
rival wrote:This is a great thread. I contacted someone about a set list on ebay. they only had little cropped photos of the set list and they didn't know what show it was from. I got them to send a full scan and did a little cross referencing and found out it was from a show in Perth Australia on March 6th 1995. Which is funny because the seller was pretty confident it was from a "local show in the Seattle area."

Hey scott

Photos are cool here - just use the Img tab like at the official forum

You can't upload images to the forum though, can you? I thought they had to be external links. if there's a way to upload, please let me know how. I'd love to share some stuff.

p.s. Paul, did you get my PM?
rival

Postby AlfonzoVarble » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:10 am

I know I am late but your shared thread is Really very awesome and so much interesting, send me email related to this topic than I will find out more about this Handwriting and is a best way to learn better handwriting.
AlfonzoVarble

Postby massimo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:47 am

Hey Freaks! I'd like to know your opinion about this handwritten page! Do you recognize who can be?
massimo

Postby massimo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 am

I'm not jocking!! ;-) ;)
massimo

Next

Return to Posters/Memorabilia