Ten BasketBall Picture LP - How to recognize the PIRATED one

Talk about Pearl Jam CD's, LP's, Cassettes, Minidiscs, Bootlegs...

Re: Ten BasketBall Picture LP - How to recognize the PIRATED one

Postby warsumm » Wed May 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Got the EIL "Basketball" LP today and it fits all the "legitimate" criteria mentioned here. It was very clear to see the differences between the fake i received last week and this one. Thanks a lot!!!
warsumm

Postby Frank Gibson » Wed May 12, 2010 7:04 pm

good shot
good for you
;)
Oceans ::: A Tribute to Pearl Jam

Facebook Page: Oceans ::: A Tribute to Pearl Jam

...is not a TV Studio, Josh turn these lights out ...it's a rock concert!!Ready ...ROMA 96-ZURIGO 00-VERONA 06-PISTOIA 06-LONDRA 07
Frank Gibson

Postby warsumm » Wed May 12, 2010 11:54 pm

hmm, just wondering: is it possible to have a pirated basketball vinyl but have all the packaging be "real"? I can't tell if the magenta on my vinyl is faded like the fake i returned from last week. please advise. thanks!
warsumm

Postby warsumm » Wed May 19, 2010 9:44 pm

LOL! This is the one from HOT TRACKS music store that i returned. I educate the guy and here goes to sell his bootskie on the bay! I love it. stay away by the way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEARL-JAM-Ten-Baske ... 3622wt_911
warsumm

Postby southp » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:34 am

Roughly how many copies of the official basketball disc are there? Any idea?
southp

Postby warsumm » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:38 am

tons. I believe if you find one online and are unsure, you can request the "PX" number on the upper-right corner of the sleeve-back and confirm it with the Ten Club and/or Sony?
warsumm

Postby arq » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:31 am

southp wrote:Roughly how many copies of the official basketball disc are there? Any idea?

I don't remember where i read that but supposedly there was 1500 copies of it, but that was a long time ago.
arq

Postby youngster » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 pm

arq wrote:
southp wrote:Roughly how many copies of the official basketball disc are there? Any idea?

I don't remember where i read that but supposedly there was 1500 copies of it, but that was a long time ago.

The old website Five Horizons said that there were 5,000 copies. Here is a copy of the paragraph for this vinyl:

The most popular vinyl collectible (besides the fan club singles) is probably the lovely Ten picture disc from the UK, known to most fans as the "Basketball vinyl". This was named because the A-side was an image of a basketball with "Pearl Jam" writTen on it (like the promotional basketballs, more on those later). It also came in a clear sleeve with the Ten artwork silkscreened in one color (purple). It's very cool. (Click here to see this on pjdiscography.com.) There were 5,000 of these made and going price is anywhere from $75 (if you're lucky) to $125.
youngster

Postby southp » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks for the info. I miss Five Horizons!

I picked up an official copy recently for $50. All the details check out with the pictures from the thread. It's just unfortunate that there are so many bootlegs floating around and watering down the collectibility of this record.
southp

Postby arq » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:08 pm

youngster wrote:The old website Five Horizons said that there were 5,000 copies. Here is a copy of the paragraph for this vinyl:

The most popular vinyl collectible (besides the fan club singles) is probably the lovely Ten picture disc from the UK, known to most fans as the "Basketball vinyl". This was named because the A-side was an image of a basketball with "Pearl Jam" writTen on it (like the promotional basketballs, more on those later). It also came in a clear sleeve with the Ten artwork silkscreened in one color (purple). It's very cool. (Click here to see this on pjdiscography.com.) There were 5,000 of these made and going price is anywhere from $75 (if you're lucky) to $125.

You're right! I was confused! :D
arq

Postby esprit_critique » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:51 pm

I have a copy that I bought off of Discogs. I checked all the differences and can see that the cover is definately a fake. The actual vinyl however looks real. It has the lighter magenta writing on the basketball side and the other side is printed in a very clear way (I've unfortunately bougt bootlegs before, you can tell the printed letters on the vinyl is not so clear/not as clear). I assume it must be fake, but I'm not sure. There is, however, no etching in the inner ring of the vinyl. Does the original have etching? Can anyone help me out?
esprit_critique

Postby esprit_critique » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:53 pm

warsumm wrote:hmm, just wondering: is it possible to have a pirated basketball vinyl but have all the packaging be "real"? I can't tell if the magenta on my vinyl is faded like the fake i returned from last week. please advise. thanks!

I'm wondering the opposite.... But probably the same print.
esprit_critique

Postby satansbed » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:44 pm

if you weren't buying this for collecting purposes but instead where buying it to play is there much of a difference??
satansbed

Postby warsumm » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:58 pm

not really as far as i know and a pirated basketball vinyl is about the same cost as a ten vinyl anyway.
warsumm

Postby southp » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:23 pm

satansbed wrote:if you weren't buying this for collecting purposes but instead where buying it to play is there much of a difference??

Picture discs are usually inferior to regular vinyl when it comes to sound quality. Plus you don't know what source was used to press the bootleg copy. You're better off listening to the CD or mp3s at that point.
southp

PreviousNext

Return to Pearl Jam Discography