Vinyl! And your excellent taste in music...

Talk about Pearl Jam CD's, LP's, Cassettes, Minidiscs, Bootlegs...

Vinyl! And your excellent taste in music...

Postby tope » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:52 am

I never, ever knew this place existed, someone just directed me from the PJ message pit.

Hi!!

I have a couple of questions and the people there thought you might be able to help.

1. I just got PJ LO2L vinyl LP, opened and played but no scratches, given to me as a belated bday prez. We were wondering if the price my friend paid for it down here in little ole NZ is ok or if he got taken for a ride, or if he got a bargain! We really have no idea! I had a look on ebay but can't seem to find any on there to get an idea from. So could anyone kindly tell me how much these go for (US dollars or whatever, i can easily convert into NZD). Cause we really have no idea. But I am a happy girl now I have it ;-) the guys at the message pit suggested about $75 - $100 USD. what do you guys think of that?

2. Did Lost Dogs get a release on vinyl? I am suspecting yes.

3. How do I tell if my vinyls are original pressings? I have ten, vs, vitalogy, no code, yield, binaural, riot act and now LO2L. Is it the little engraved numbers that tell you? Or a number elsewhere? Where would that elsewhere be?! Or is it that all the albums except ten are first pressings because they haven't been re-released? I am very curious. I bought all the albums on vinyl here in NZ when each one was released (except their sefl titled, which i couldn't get, veeery traumatising) but being at the bottom of the world means that sometimes you miss out on the first round of things....I am very curious.

What a cool website! May I say you all have excellent taste in music! And also if anyone knows where a girl in NZ can score a copy of their self titled LP for less than a mazillion US dollars (you should see how much that equates to in NZD!), don't hesitate to let me know!

very happy to have found you,
Tope
tope

Re: Vinyl! And your excellent taste in music...

Postby pdalowsky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:10 am

Welcome aboard Tope.....glad you like it ;)

Like I said before - this is exactly the place to get these questions answered, just wait for the Vinyl guys to come on, Frank, MegaDave or Bushleaguer......
pdalowsky

Postby DirtyStuart » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:01 am

1. LO2L - yeah, thats a fair price

2. Lost Dogs - Yes, prices are higher than LO2L because its heavier vinyl

3. There will be a number pressed into the vinyl (in the centre bit) - have a look at that and come back to us with what you have got.

4. Dunno about NZ stores, sorry!

Happy to have you here!
DirtyStuart

Postby Megadave » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:09 am

Hi...welcome and nice to have u with these people here:

1-recently we have decided to not talk about price's items cause many people come here only to ask us a probably price for a pj items and....after few second we see this object on ebay with our suggestion and bla bla bla....how can u see...it's a place for collectors not a market...
but some words can be spend...recently many people are looking for vinyls...cause vinyl are always nice items in every collection...obvoiusly their price can be an important price...specially if vinyl is sealed....hope this stupid and simple suggestion can help u...if u are interested in vinyls check always auctions of items where u are interested and u'll have a good idea about it and maybe a good chance for a good price.. ;)

2-Definitively Yes..at moment one copy known...3Lp usa!!!(personally i think is the only version pressed)
DirtyStuart wrote: Lost Dogs - Yes, prices are higher than LO2L because its heavier vinyl

absolutely noooo!!!!it's not the vinyl's "weight"...that makes his value or his price...important thing is how many copies are pressed,known,if it's easy to find...i can say u without doubt that we can have a 7" more important,rare,searched than a lostdog sealed 3lp..

3-best answer is...go here:

http://www.pjcollectors.com/

our archive....the greatest discography made about pj..check here vor every u find about a vinyl...country,catalogue number,producton's year,sticker,promo..etc...u can compare your vinyl..
but as u can see we need to add items for lp album category..there's a discussion between us..we have vinyls but it's more difficult take pics,find a good camera,freetime,work...bla bla...we all desire complete this category...and we all hope add new pics in next days...check always our site...
for the discussion,check here...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=632&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

there's a short list about vinyls we need at moment to put in the archive...it can be a temporany help with your search...but actually u can find in the archive a complete list of 7"-7"promo-12" and 12" promo plus all xmas vinyls...

4-No,sorry..

Hope u have good time here :D
Last edited by Megadave on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mention this to me
Mention something, mention anything

........and watch the weather change.
Megadave

Postby tope » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:15 pm

Ok, I had a look at those links, but I still couldn't find anywhere that tells me about how I know if they are first pressings. This is what I am most interested in, not the price as trust me i would NOT be convinced to part with these records, they are practically whanau (family members!).

So I'll just describe them in the hopes that someone knows how i can figure out what pressings my albums are - not so I can sell them, but because I really want to know. I just hooked my turntable back up after a year so haven't heard these albums on vinyl for at least that long, which is why i was cleaning and looking at them...and getting vveeerry excited to hear them.

Is it ok if I write the little engraved numbers on here? Rest assured I don't want to sell any so don't need to know how much they cost. OR alternatively someone could explain how many PJ records of each album got released and were there more than one mass pressing of each? Or tell me how I could go about finding it out. Because I was the only person I ever knew that even knew you could get the albums on vinyl in NZ, I was really surprised when I joined the message pit just recently how popular the vinyl has become - which explains why I couldn't get that last one (self titled). But I felt like I was annoying talking about vinyl too much because it seemed to be a sensitive (and much talked about previously) topic. My last thread there was called 'please don't get mad at me'! Is this the place perhaps where I can find out? And if not, then hooray anyway, cause this place is cool!

Plus I would just feel better having the serial numbers all written down and this gives me the perfect excuse to do that...

Chur,
Tope
tope

Postby pdalowsky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:20 pm

yeah go for it....
pdalowsky

Postby tope » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Cool! K:

Start with Ten: AL/BL 47857 - 2A - REV (really hard to see - fine engraving)

VS: Has 01 474549 20 1A/1B and 'Made in Holland' as part of fineprint on label

Vitalogy: 01 477861-20 Doesn't say where it is made anywhere

No Code: AL 67500 -1B BL 67500 B these are really hard to read but match the label. This has the New York address of
Sony up the side of the album cover but doesn't say where it was made?

Yield: AL 68164_1A BL 68164 -1B

Binaural: 67389 BL and a little TL in a C sign
67388 AL/BL and TL

Riot Act: Now this one intrigues me particularly because it has crossed out letters! I fell like a detective... it reads:
AL/BL then crossed out XSS then 87056 A/B then further over a crossed out X uncrossed X1
AL/BL " " " " " 87057 A/B then further over a little X1
PLUS there are little tiny SW's (or, MS if you are looking down on it on the deck!!) which just seems so out of it. So people actually engrave this stuff onto every record?

And my beloved LO2L is on it's way down here as we speak! so can't put numbers for that, but will as soon as it turns up.

Thanks! Let me know if ya know anything! Or can help
tope

Postby Frank Gibson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:57 pm

yeah Mega I was thinking about not to talk about prices here ehehehe I tought it was another ebay seller ....happy to see it is the FIRST GIRL on pjcoll. if I don' mind

I can confirm all DirtyStuart told you

2) I know also about a european version

I can tell you that all vinyls from pj are first pressing except ten and versus which cna be found in many different ways ...first, second pressing, boot ecc.
you can write here the epic catalogue number in the back cover of the vinyls and we'll see it for you :D

Hi from Italy and remember ...please you can get mad at me about vinyls :D
Oceans ::: A Tribute to Pearl Jam

Facebook Page: Oceans ::: A Tribute to Pearl Jam

...is not a TV Studio, Josh turn these lights out ...it's a rock concert!!Ready ...ROMA 96-ZURIGO 00-VERONA 06-PISTOIA 06-LONDRA 07
Frank Gibson

Postby pdalowsky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:59 pm

now what did I tell you eh??
and yeah good spot Frank, our first lady collector :D
pdalowsky

Postby Frank Gibson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:00 pm

tope wrote:Cool! K:

Start with Ten: AL/BL 47857 - 2A - REV (really hard to see - fine engraving)

VS: Has 01 474549 20 1A/1B and 'Made in Holland' as part of fineprint on label

Vitalogy: 01 477861-20 Doesn't say where it is made anywhere

No Code: AL 67500 -1B BL 67500 B these are really hard to read but match the label. This has the New York address of
Sony up the side of the album cover but doesn't say where it was made?

Yield: AL 68164_1A BL 68164 -1B

Binaural: 67389 BL and a little TL in a C sign
67388 AL/BL and TL

Riot Act: Now this one intrigues me particularly because it has crossed out letters! I fell like a detective... it reads:
AL/BL then crossed out XSS then 87056 A/B then further over a crossed out X uncrossed X1
AL/BL " " " " " 87057 A/B then further over a little X1
PLUS there are little tiny SW's (or, MS if you are looking down on it on the deck!!) which just seems so out of it. So people actually engrave this stuff onto every record?

And my beloved LO2L is on it's way down here as we speak! so can't put numbers for that, but will as soon as it turns up.

Thanks! Let me know if ya know anything! Or can help

1) USA VERSION FIRST PRESSING
2) as you say it is the european version
3) EU VERSION
4) and 5) USA VERSION FIRST PRESSING

6) and 7) DON'T KNOW ...NEVER SEEN BEFORE ...are you sure about the number???
Last edited by Frank Gibson on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

...is not a TV Studio, Josh turn these lights out ...it's a rock concert!!Ready ...ROMA 96-ZURIGO 00-VERONA 06-PISTOIA 06-LONDRA 07
Frank Gibson

Postby Megadave » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:04 pm

Sorry Tope...probably,problem is always my bad english:

this is Ten Usa page:

http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=949

on the top's page...u find all the info...

-"Serial" : is the catalogue number (u can find it on spine,back cover,or label of your vinyl and check it with our number)

-"Origin" : is the country press (u can find it generally down on back cover and on label's vinyl)

-"Year" : is year's press(always on back cover or on label...in this case, u can read 1991...it's Ten..then a first press)

-"Format" : 12"-10"-7" black or coloured vinyl

about 1st or 2nd press.....they're always first press execpt for Ten..it was re-pressed 4-5 times...but the rest are...first press...
this is my message about this question when i was talking with an other italian member crazy for vinyls(Frankgibson)yesterday night...this is only my persional opinion(so..it can be wrong!!!) we don't have so many pj vinyls album:

"we have this discussion months ago....i 'm quite sure..for pj vinyls album we have only few copies for few countries...cause they born late..in 91...and cd was remplacing vinyls in stores....
it's a different thing from other artists...i don't want make the traditonal example(metallica)...but if u check other collections...for example Madonna,U2,queen,iron maiden...then u find album vinyls pressed in Canada,Argentina,Mexico,venezuela,uruguay,Russia....africa state like ZIMBAWE....ITALY!!!and...japan....VINYLS WITH OBI...what a fantastic idea!!!marvellous items!!!
but for these artists too...after 90...vinyls pressed are few copies too...Eu or Usa...cause cd...i know, it's a crime 4u....are remplaced vinyls!!!
i don't think for pj is the same situation..."

Ten is always re-pressed simply cause is still considered and maybe in future...the Greatest Pj album...there's no reason to press 5,6,9,10 copies of Binaural,Riot,Lostdogs,Live on 2legs...Vitalogy...in cd,digital,mp3,dvd era!!! (we're waiting...hope it's true, for Ten dvd version!!for other groups dvd album has been pressed...waiting now for pj!!!)

we have only usa,eu version cause pj are borned in 91..cd was ready in store...obviously if u check another artists like pink floyd..Micheal jackson,Doors( :cry: )..u'll find Japan vinyls,mexican,australia,france,german,uk,holland,italy(not the EU like today)..maybe New zeland vinyls....cause they played music in '80-'70-'60...and in past u haved to listen music only...vinyl format!!!
it's the same thing about tapes...no more tapes...who buys a tape today???...in fact we have only an Avocado(last album)tape for indonesia!!!
there no reason to re-pressed avocado in next years...yeah..all it's possible...as a collector i want another press in future for the avocado,riot or binaural...but actually there's no sense.....it's more possible a new Ten version like last year...check this:

http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1333

"year 2007"

or this:

http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1411

"year 2008"

hope i have explained it..........but there's only a man can destroy my all arguments,and he is........Sam!! :D

(i'm sure Tope,in future, u'll understand the sense of my final phrase) ;)
Mention this to me

Megadave

Postby Megadave » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Frank Gibson wrote:I can confirm all DirtyStuart told you

Sorry Frank...but i think that 7" daughter's holland black vinyl is a "little bit" precious and rare than an..heavier lostdog!!!
Mention this to me

Megadave

Postby Frank Gibson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:10 pm

pdalowsky wrote:and yeah good spot Frank, our first lady collector :D

tope? I supposed it was the NZ way to say an italian word that indicate a very beautiful woman ... "topa"! :mrgreen:

Frank Gibson

Postby Frank Gibson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Megadave wrote:
Frank Gibson wrote:I can confirm all DirtyStuart told you

Sorry Frank...but i think that 7" daughter's holland black vinyl is a "little bit" precious and rare than an..heavier lostdog!!!

yeah i am sure about it...i can add that it is true like the sun what you say ....but i think dirty didn't tell it ....sorry for my english ...maybe i didn't understand that part of his post???

Frank Gibson

Postby pdalowsky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:16 pm

hope i have explained it..........but there's only a man can destroy my all arguments,and he is........Sam!! :D

(i'm sure Tope,in future, u'll understand the sense of my final phrase) ;)[/quote]

Yes if you come round here often, Bushleauger aka Sam is like the oracle....
:P

You name it, he has it, and you name it sealed, he has it......Hey Sam isnt it time you pictured the whole lot? I think you'd definitely make me feel inadequate (in a PJ sense you'll understand!!!)
pdalowsky

Next

Return to Pearl Jam Discography