insurance to protect our collections???

Talk about Pearl Jam CD's, LP's, Cassettes, Minidiscs, Bootlegs...

insurance to protect our collections???

Postby Megadave » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:06 am

here we go with a new discussion....

in these days i ve read an article on an italian magazine where there's an interview to the greatest italian collector of an italian '70 music singer (for italian forum's members...the magazine is "tv sorrisi e canzoni" and the singer is "lucio battisti")...
his collection has got insurance for 300.000 euro!!!!

now i'm reading this page for collectors always from Hector's mettallica colllectors page..
there is an important suggestion to all the collectors..
take a look at this link:

http://www.metallipromo.com/fire.html

now...when u see your collections...and thinking about money,you(and me) are spending on p.j items,
rarities in your home.......insurance...can be a good idea to protect our collections???

your opinion...guys????
Mention this to me
Mention something, mention anything

........and watch the weather change.
Megadave

Re: insurance to protect our collections???

Postby pdalowsky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:15 am

great idea Dave, my personal home insurance has unlimited contents cover, and costs nothing to insure my collection provided individual items are not over £1000 so I've only had to cover the reeenk as extra. Its not the value I'm so concerned with its if someone took it all, most of it as we know is irreplaceable and the money would be no comfort to me at all.
pdalowsky

Postby DirtyStuart » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:19 pm

pdalowsky wrote:great idea Dave, my personal home insurance has unlimited contents cover, and costs nothing to insure my collection provided individual items are not over £1000 so I've only had to cover the reeenk as extra. Its not the value I'm so concerned with its if someone took it all, most of it as we know is irreplaceable and the money would be no comfort to me at all.

Dude, when did you get the Reeenk?

I thought you were after the one PushPull99 was selling... when did you score that?

Back on topic... might get mine insured as well....
DirtyStuart

Postby pdalowsky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Dude I got the one the guy who you bought from sold first ;)

he got both from the boston radio station!! thats when i emailed you with the heads up :D
pdalowsky

Postby pdalowsky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:49 pm

Stu, pics of my collection will follow in the next two weeks or so...just waiting the delivery of the basketball set and whiskey set which should be shipped anytime soon
pdalowsky

Postby DirtyStuart » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:51 pm

pdalowsky wrote:Dude I got the one the guy who you bought from sold first ;)

he got both from the boston radio station!! thats when i emailed you with the heads up :D

pdalowsky wrote:Stu, pics of my collection will follow in the next two weeks or so...just waiting the delivery of the basketball set and whiskey set which should be shipped anytime soon

Sweet (on both accounts)!

I thought the first one went to someone who's ebay id i did not recognize, nice one dude!

Glad the hoop and whiskey are sorted :D
DirtyStuart

Postby pdalowsky » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:30 am

it was I Stu, shady I know.... :D but very pleased to have it, although ever so slightly underwelmed at seeing what the cash brings!!!
pdalowsky

Postby Frank Gibson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:11 pm

get on topic please :mrgreen:

How can you establish the value of a collection????
I can't prove the value of my vinyl collection by let them see my excel file with all the ebay purchase
Oceans ::: A Tribute to Pearl Jam

Facebook Page: Oceans ::: A Tribute to Pearl Jam

...is not a TV Studio, Josh turn these lights out ...it's a rock concert!!Ready ...ROMA 96-ZURIGO 00-VERONA 06-PISTOIA 06-LONDRA 07
Frank Gibson

Postby pdalowsky » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:45 pm

Sorry Frank...got a little carried away ;)

as for valuing your collection, this is not possible to do accurately. Common sense has to come in with the insurance companies. Your insurance will protect you for what is considered market value or the cost to replace the product. Now with something like a reeenk or a benny hall that impossible to quantify without going to the marketplace and getting comparables from recent sales. So you need to keep a spreadsheet with current values as evidence of their value.....and update it regularly, and maybe print out the occasion ebay listing once it has finished as proof for your insurance underwriters.

Thats how I see it anyway, obviosuly if something can not be bought in a shop, then this is the only way of dealing with a claim. Of course if your item has devalued i would suggest you provide the receipt for when you purchased it :D
pdalowsky

Postby Megadave » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:46 pm

Frank... i know it's very difficult value a collection...it's the reason why i have made this topic...i want listen other opinions...i think today,like in the past....this type of market(music artists collectors) it's very big and very important..and when i have seen these articles i think about collecting pearl jam and my little collection...(obsiouvly...i collect not for the value but...for P.J.!!!)
i can think a lot of collectors in the world take(is the right verb?) insurance on their collections...

recently in italy the first cd of an italian female singer of japan anime soundtrack(anime are children cartoons) has sold on ebay for 1750 euro!!! :shock: :shock:

if u think about it, Frank....reeenk, vs blu,or monkey wrench promo are...very cheap!!!!!

(for italian members: i 've read this news on Medaiset ttx...singer is (come potete facilmente immaginare) Cristina d avena :lol: ....cd was fivelandia n.5 :lol: :lol: ...the reason of this crazy value is , i think ,that it is her first cd cause n1-2-3-4 were vinyls...)

like every collectors in the world when i read these news....i just thinking....
Mention this to me

Megadave

Postby Megadave » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:04 pm

and always about insurance...
this summer...a friend of mine....a collector of an italian's singer(for italian members: vasco rossi)has known a terrible experience...that makes me thinking so much...
During his summer holiday(he wasn't at home)....thieves have stolen his whole collection...vinyls,cds,vhs,dvd,tapes,picks,photo,t-shirts,memorabilia...no money or jewels...only his entire collection..
naturally a very big economic damage(insurace can be a solution??)...and he have decided to stop collecting!!!!
Mention this to me

Megadave

Postby pdalowsky » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:07 pm

thats the trouble Dave, the money is welcome as per the insurance payout, but the loss of years of collectables would be dreadful...and the money wouldnt make that right
pdalowsky

Postby Frank Gibson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:14 pm

I think the only way is to calculate the amount of the purchases.
I have a file with all my items and the relative costs.
Then I would recalculate the true value considering the current value on internet.
So you can propose a value to insured but I don't know if it is possible
I think it is the better way ...maybe someone can ask an insurance agenzy
Oceans ::: A Tribute to Pearl Jam

Facebook Page: Oceans ::: A Tribute to Pearl Jam

...is not a TV Studio, Josh turn these lights out ...it's a rock concert!!Ready ...ROMA 96-ZURIGO 00-VERONA 06-PISTOIA 06-LONDRA 07
Frank Gibson

Postby pdalowsky » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 am

Does anyone have any idea as to what they value their entire collection at?
pdalowsky

Postby massimo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:00 am

pdalowsky wrote:Does anyone have any idea as to what they value their entire collection at?

€10.000,00 mine
massimo

Next

Return to Pearl Jam Discography