Sirens Promo CD from Holland

Talk about Pearl Jam CD's, LP's, Cassettes, Minidiscs, Bootlegs...

Sirens Promo CD from Holland

Postby monkeewrench » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Anyone here have a Sirens promo cd from Holland?

If so please PM me - trying to determine if one is fake or official.

Need to know ASAP, any help is appreciated. Thanks!
monkeewrench

Re: Sirens Promo CD from Holland

Postby theserialthrilla » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:26 pm

monkeewrench wrote:Anyone here have a Sirens promo cd from Holland?

My official Dutch promo people are finding it impossible to find. They have found every other Dutch cd so far. Hmmm
theserialthrilla

Postby monkeewrench » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:01 pm

theserialthrilla wrote:

My official Dutch promo people are finding it impossible to find. They have found every other Dutch cd so far. Hmmm

Thanks, Kev.

Two things I wish I could say - "My official Dutch promo people" and "they have found every other Dutch cd so far"!!!

DAMN!!! I still need about every Dutch promo there is, with the possible exception of Sirens...
monkeewrench

Postby pdalowsky » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:28 am

monkeewrench wrote:
theserialthrilla wrote:

Thanks, Kev.

Two things I wish I could say - "My official Dutch promo people" and "they have found every other Dutch cd so far"!!!

DAMN!!! I still need about every Dutch promo there is, with the possible exception of Sirens...

good luck Steve, these will start to surface soon.....

im sure yours is real still ;)
pdalowsky

Postby monkeewrench » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Image of the promo with the missing "R".
monkeewrench

Postby theserialthrilla » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 am

monkeewrench wrote:Image of the promo with the missing "R".

:shock: not seen that before. I'm sure the Dutch cd wasn't like that
theserialthrilla

Postby monkeewrench » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:26 pm

theserialthrilla wrote:
monkeewrench wrote:Image of the promo with the missing "R".

:shock: not seen that before. I'm sure the Dutch cd wasn't like that

Kev, is there any chance you could get those Dutch promo people to weigh in on this?

Vic has other pics uploaded to the site: http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=2209
monkeewrench

Postby rival » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:36 am

I don't want to be the negative one on here but perhaps this is a bootleg and the reason the "R" was left off is because the font used for Lightning Bolt was a font created by Don Pendleton specifically for this project. There are a lot of letters that are similar in his font that can be found in Century Gothic but perhaps the reason the "R" isn't there is because it's a character that the person makin this CD was incapable of duplicating.

A bit of a stretch, I mean if someone could phony a cd this good, I'm sure they'd be able to make an "R" from scratch. I don't know. Just seems really odd and very uncharacteristic of PJ.
rival

Postby norman-grunge » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:09 am

To me the Dutch Sirens promo looks legit. Even with the missing R. The insert and CD look good. Hopefully we will see another Dutch Sirens promo soon.
One hand will wash the other!
norman-grunge

Postby monkeewrench » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:29 pm

rival wrote:I don't want to be the negative one on here but perhaps this is a bootleg and the reason the "R" was left off is because the font used for Lightning Bolt was a font created by Don Pendleton specifically for this project. There are a lot of letters that are similar in his font that can be found in Century Gothic but perhaps the reason the "R" isn't there is because it's a character that the person makin this CD was incapable of duplicating.

A bit of a stretch, I mean if someone could phony a cd this good, I'm sure they'd be able to make an "R" from scratch. I don't know. Just seems really odd and very uncharacteristic of PJ.

For the record I'm still on the fence regarding "official or fake", but this is EXACTLY the same thought that I had regarding the Century Gothic font and the customizations made to it for the LB text. However, the "R" in the Sirens postcard, the "Sevens" singles set, and on the UK and US promo cd's are all standard "R"s in the Century Gothic font; it's not the cusotmized "R" you see in Don's version of the "R" when you see "PEARL JAM" spelled out.

Whether bootlegger or record company, either one could have had the same thought but this is a HUGE miss for a bootlegger who needs to have at least a little attention to detail, and maybe the record company just didn't care and/or didn't have that attention to detail and put it out. I guess this would point to "real" and not bootlegged.

According to the person I obtained this from he recieved 2 copies directly from the pluggers at the record company, one is apparently owned by his brother. He's a well known Bruce Springsteen collector as well (has his own collection web site) and CONTINUES to offer a refund if it is proven that this copy is a fake. I've asked him to reach out to the pluggers for the story about the missing "R", but no repsonse yet. Personally I think this guy is straight up, I'm just unsettled by the missing "R".

I was one of those who bought the fake version of the Dutch Unthought Known a year ago and when I open that package after receiving it I knew right away it was bogus. Although this one is MUCH better in terms of quality, I still had tha same feeling when I opened the package. But thanks to an AWESOME board member here I will have a REAL Unthought Known in my collection soon.
monkeewrench

Postby Mani » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:57 pm

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pearl-Jam-Sirens ... true&rt=nc
Same here . You are the Buyer of this one ?
Mani

Postby monkeewrench » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Mani wrote:http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pearl-Jam-Sirens-Rare-dutch-promo-cd-acetate-/350944619941?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=D2LAx%252BEFrM3auPmgLbFmLusLVDo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Same here . You are the Buyer of this one ?

Hi Manfred. Yep, that's it. Hope you got your money back from that fake unthought known too!
monkeewrench

Postby Mani » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi Steve
No Refund for me . ( was too late )
I think Disc-Kid is a trusted Seller . I have a few CDs from him .
( unthought known , no fake )
Mani
Mani

Postby monkeewrench » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Mani wrote:Hi Steve
No Refund for me . ( was too late )
I think Disc-Kid is a trusted Seller . I have a few CDs from him .
( unthought known , no fake )
Mani

This is great to hear, thank you for sharing!
monkeewrench

Postby pjryanb999 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:29 am

I've also bought from disk kid, and the items are 100% legit. That "R", or lack there of is definitely a head scratcher. Keep us posted on any news as I'm very curious myself. I hate bootlegers! They ruin it for everyone!!!!
Having tasted a life wasted, I'm never going back again!
pjryanb999

Next

Return to Pearl Jam Discography