THE FIXER COLOMBIA PROMO CD IS FAKE? I THINK SO

Talk about Pearl Jam CD's, LP's, Cassettes, Minidiscs, Bootlegs...

Re: THE FIXER COLOMBIA PROMO CD IS FAKE? I THINK SO

Postby PaJo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 pm

VicSpeed wrote:
it's not only about the picture on the cd, in the spanish words that goes around the cd there is a few mistakes on it ( one word missing, one misspelled word, in a couple of words the letters don't have a space like the other ones they are stuck together. it's all very strange.

Can you post here the mistakes?

Thank you!

in my first post there are some of them listed, but maybe somebody that has a copie of that promo cd probably have a scanner, and can take a good scan of the cd and post it here for everyone to see and take their conclusions.
PaJo

Postby pdalowsky » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 am

PaJo wrote:
nopey23 wrote:Don't the people who sell the fake items usually keep listing them even after its figured out?

I mean... IF this is a fake... wouldn't he have spread it out over a few weeks (as opposed to selling all in one day) to maximize the $$ and continued selling until the $$ went away?

I dunno... it doesnt LOOK like a perfectly authentic item, but the seller seems OK and the situation doesn't seem so weird outside of it not popping up until now.

Hard to say... and I doubt we'll get an official verdict from anyone anytime soon!

Hi, i'm going to give you my answers to your questions ( just my opinion )
First --- no, not everybody that sells fake items keep listing them, everything depends if they want to get caught or no. this seller been a massive seller probably he makes is living out of it ( ebay ), and on ebay if you are caught selling a fake/ilegal item you get a warning, after a few warnings your account is suspended or worst you can be expulsed forever.
Two --- in my opinion the opposite. i'm shure by now every seller on ebay knows that pjcollectores pay crazy money for pearl jam stuff, specially if it is rare, so if you are selling a rare pearl jam promo cd ( like this one that nobody ever saw it on ebay before ), first you don't put a price on it that cheap and the buy it now option, you put it in auction. because you know that if the cd is real and not fake, people are gonna pay crazy money for it. and if you have more than one copie you spread it out over a few weeks so you get the most $$ possible ( the cd is real so you don't have nothing to fear ). now if you are selling something fake, you will be selling it as quick as possible before somebody finds out that is a fake and starting spreading the word about it, and if you don't want to get caught don't be greedy, sell a few not to many.
Three --- the seller seems ok? for the many years that i've been on ebay most sellers that i saw selling fake stuff they all seem ok, none of them had a label saying " we sell fake stuff ". and with this new fashion of the sellers only leaving feedback once the buyer leaves it first for them, it's hard for the buyer to say anything bad about the seller because if you do, you know that the seller is going to stain your feedback with bad comments too, and nobody wants that.
Four --- it doesn't look weird to you, but to me it looks very weird. in over two years we never saw a single copie. the promo cd was made to promote pearl jam in that 4 countries that are stated in the cardsleeve, never saw one seller from one of that countries selling that promo cd and now suddendly we have a bunch of copies coming from mexico, and all from the same seller. :o ( this is just my opinion )

I had lengthly discussions with this seller at the time of this sale. I raised many of the questions you have and received very plausible and what I believe were genuine replies.

This seller works from Mexico however has his business in Columbia - where he visits a few times a month. His connection is in radio in Columbia and is related to the boss of the label also. He has been given batches of promos from many in demand artist (mostly madonna - and sold multiples of those)..

Shipping from columbia is absolutely crazy expensive which is why it is not common to see many items for sale from there, people will not pay the postage. So This seller on his trips returns to mexico where a cd can be shipped for $5. That makes perfect sense to me.

His background is also very solid, in the sense he was founder of the South american eil arm.

I have the other day contacted - asking for official confirmation from Universal Columbia and hope to receive this soon.

However - ask yourself - is it really that crazy that we have never seen this promo before? How many live on ten legs 3 track promos have you seen on ebay? How many of the Uk pj20 dvds have been on ebay uk? not one, all came from the states. germany is a country whereby promos are seldom sold, it doesnt make the ones that are fake. The delay to market is not relevant imo. It is not at all uncommon. Ask yourself how many of the rvm 3 track samplers were seen around the release of that record too?

Carrying out a simple chilean item search on ebay tells a story unto itself. The south american countries on the west do not seem to use sites known to us to sell thing, Mecardo libre is the nearest thing they use ....I dont know why, im not from there, but you say why do sellers not try to capitalise on the crazy PJC market? Thats a question I always ask myself when a Advocado shop release and columbian pressed CD sells for $60 - yet only this seller in question here is the one selling it? why wouldnt everyone do this? surely there is a reason somewhere.

Your opinion is a good one however, until the questions you raise can be fully addressed, its an interesting discussion. I just dont believe it is as black and white as you suggest it seems
pdalowsky

Postby pdalowsky » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 am

PaJo wrote:
VicSpeed wrote:
it's not only about the picture on the cd, in the spanish words that goes around the cd there is a few mistakes on it ( one word missing, one misspelled word, in a couple of words the letters don't have a space like the other ones they are stuck together. it's all very strange.

Thank you!

in my first post there are some of them listed, but maybe somebody that has a copie of that promo cd probably have a scanner, and can take a good scan of the cd and post it here for everyone to see and take their conclusions.

thats already been done - its in the database here
pdalowsky

Postby PaJo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:07 am

pdalowsky wrote:
PaJo wrote:
VicSpeed wrote:

Thank you!

thats already been done - its in the database here

Yes, but the picture in the database doesn't show the spanish words that goes around the cd very well. the spanish words that goes around the cd was the first thing that make me realise ( in my opinion ) that this is a fake promo cd. when i said a good scan of the cd i mean a good scan of the words that goes around the cd.
PaJo

Postby norman-grunge » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:24 am

Will try to scan the text on CD over the weekend.
One hand will wash the other!
norman-grunge

Postby pdalowsky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:32 am

a little progress made

currently awaiting an email from universal columbia confirming the legitimacy of this promo
pdalowsky

Postby pdalowsky » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:16 am

Received a very interesting response on the fixer.

I have been given the details of the universal guy who personalluy handed over these promos to our seller. I am not able to disclose his name - however I am making direct contact for the confirmation we need here.

An exchange was sent to me too about an iron maiden ultra rare columbian promo that was pressed to 50 copies, recalled by the label, who actually asked for a few for their own use, that disc had 2008 on it, despite being a 2009 release

anyway for anyone in doubt, at this stage our seller is 100% ready to offer a full refund.....you merely need to contact him. No questions asked, of course the paypal claim date has expired but a refund will be offered before you will find it back on ebay.

Heres an extract of what i was told: -

As always they are 110% genuine and original. Lifetime guarantee... I will never sell a bootleg or a fake cd (otherwise will be a scam, fraud or robbery), this cd were sold by this guy given to me in person and were given to radio stations / press. Next time I go to Colombia I will take a picture of myself and my contact inside his Universal Music office with the promo cd. Unfortuantelly this kind of stuff will always bring doubts. They are not best quality BUT they are given as free to promote an artist. Not intended to be sold. I can assure you that if those cd's were sold for $5.00 USD as the Nelly Furtado cd-r nobody will ask questions.

more to follow.....stay tuned.
pdalowsky

Postby monkeewrench » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Sooooo, how can I get one of these? :D
monkeewrench

Previous

Return to Pearl Jam Discography