THE FIXER COLOMBIA PROMO CD IS FAKE? I THINK SO

Talk about Pearl Jam CD's, LP's, Cassettes, Minidiscs, Bootlegs...

THE FIXER COLOMBIA PROMO CD IS FAKE? I THINK SO

Postby PaJo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:06 am

Hi everyone, congratulations for a brilliant site. just to let you know that the fixer colombia promo cd is fake. the seller 12pulgadasmexico probably made the cds himself. already sold more than five of them. check the cd and the cardsleeve and you will see. for somebody that said in the description of the cd that recently just moved home and it's amazing what we can find in a major move ( did he find so many of them? )
on the cardsleeve reads PyC 2008, - on the cd reads PyC 2009
on the cardsleeve reads distribuido por universal music colombia, venezuela, ecuador y peru - on the cd reads distribuido por universal music colombia, ecuador, peru y venezuela
on the cardsleeve reads: distribucion no autorizados - on the cd the word distribucion is missing
on the cardsleeve reads previamente - on the cd reads previamentes
and the reference number j-30295614-5 that appears on the cd ( not on the cardsleeve? strange ), is the reference for an enrique iglesias 1 track promotional cd made in colombia ( search the net and you will see ).
in the inner ring of the cd it says made by prodisc. prodisc is an american company that sells superior quality cd blanks.
This is just my thoughts on the cd. :(
PaJo

Re: THE FIXER COLOMBIA PROMO CD IS FAKE? I THINK SO

Postby norman-grunge » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:03 am

Hi PaJo. Welcome here and thanks a lit for your thoughts and opinions. You make some real valid points here. Let me check it.
One hand will wash the other!
norman-grunge

Postby LostRebel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi PaJo,

Great first post in the forum!
Really great observations!

When google-ing this reference number, it appears on many promo cds "y distribuido por Universal Music Colombia, Ecuador, Perú y Venezuela" as a "RIF" number. (even for U2-get on your boots promo).
Probably a general distribution liscence/law/regulatory number?

I have my doubts on this cd too. I'm sure the cd experts will find the answer.
LostRebel

Postby pdalowsky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Welcome, and indeed great first post.

we always need good detectives amoungst us.

My opinion - I stress this

This CD is genuine.

The card sleeve is a generic universal one used by the label in Columbia (much like the yellow die cut sleeves used by Sony over the years), these were used from a stock retained from 2008.

The Cd image is exactly that that was distributed with the press media digital pack sent to all labels on the backspacer release.

I am seeking some confirmation from the label to put aside any doubts
pdalowsky

Postby Megadave » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:53 pm

.....there are a couple of things that make me really thinking about a fake.... 8-)

first off.....in 20 years of collection,this is the first time i see a promo with the band pic printed on cd :shock: :shock:
it looks like a promo yes.....like those ones u can find on rock magazines ;)

in 2 years we never saw that promo before....but one fine day here comes pulgar ;)
just 1 copy sold on ebay and other 5/6 sold privately....... :? :?
whats the story is this?
Mention this to me
Mention something, mention anything

........and watch the weather change.
Megadave

Postby theserialthrilla » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Megadave wrote:.....there are a couple of things that make me really thinking about a fake.... 8-)

first off.....in 20 years of collection,this is the first time i see a promo with the band pic printed on cd :shock: :shock:

in 2 years we never saw that promo before....but one fine day here comes pulgar ;)
whats the story is this?

we all messaged him and bought privately lol
theserialthrilla

Postby nopey23 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:43 pm

theserialthrilla wrote:
Megadave wrote:.....there are a couple of things that make me really thinking about a fake.... 8-)

whats the story is this?

we all messaged him and bought privately lol

I saw 3 or maybe 4 on ebay for this one... I thought it was fake too because of the qty, but it seems to line up OK. The band pic on the cover is odd, but unthought known has one on the case so its not THAT far off i guess.
nopey23

Postby Megadave » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Exactlyy ;) ;)

that's the reason that makes me thinking about...
When pulgar is selling a true gem.....first off.....there's not a "buy now"..and as second...he lets the auction running till the end.
Someone else did the same in the past...and he is on the black list now....
dont forget!!!

We really need an official voice.....anyone at sony who can confirm.!!
Mention this to me

Megadave

Postby PaJo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:38 am

The ones sold on ebay, they all came from the same seller. the pulgadas ( at least he sold four on ebay )
it's not only about the picture on the cd, in the spanish words that goes around the cd there is a few mistakes on it ( one word missing, one misspelled word, in a couple of words the letters don't have a space like the other ones they are stuck together. it's all very strange.
to me it looks like somebody was trying to copy the text that is on the cardsleeve to the cd and did a bad job, i don't believe the record company made that many mistakes on the cd.
and about the cardsleeve been from a different year of the one in the cd, i don't believe to be overstock. how many companies use overstock cardsleeves with the year printed on it different from the year of the release of the cd?.
the guy that sold that cds it's a massive seller, for shure that he knows what sells and what doesn't. been him a massive seller it's not that difficult to take some cardsleeves from cds that he had that didn't sell and just use it, and making a fake promo cd it doesn't look that difficult now a days, by the amount that turns up on ebay this days it looks a very easy job.
the most strange thing is that all the copies of that promo cd, they all came from the same seller. and after 2 years of the release!
i guess pulgadas is a lucky guy, while he was moving home he found one, sorry two, i mean three, my mistake it's four, i don't really know how many copies of that promo, but it looks like if found a bunch of them. i'm shure he was so happy with what he found that he threw a big fiesta.
PaJo

Postby Megadave » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:04 pm

PaJo wrote:The ones sold on ebay, they all came from the same seller. the pulgadas ( at least he sold four on ebay )
it's not only about the picture on the cd, in the spanish words that goes around the cd there is a few mistakes on it ( one word missing, one misspelled word, in a couple of words the letters don't have a space like the other ones they are stuck together. it's all very strange.
to me it looks like somebody was trying to copy the text that is on the cardsleeve to the cd and did a bad job, i don't believe the record company made that many mistakes on the cd.
and about the cardsleeve been from a different year of the one in the cd, i don't believe to be overstock. how many companies use overstock cardsleeves with the year printed on it different from the year of the release of the cd?.
the guy that sold that cds it's a massive seller, for shure that he knows what sells and what doesn't. been him a massive seller it's not that difficult to take some cardsleeves from cds that he had that didn't sell and just use it, and making a fake promo cd it doesn't look that difficult now a days, by the amount that turns up on ebay this days it looks a very easy job.
the most strange thing is that all the copies of that promo cd, they all came from the same seller. and after 2 years of the release!
i guess pulgadas is a lucky guy, while he was moving home he found one, sorry two, i mean three, my mistake it's four, i don't really know how many copies of that promo, but it looks like if found a bunch of them. i'm shure he was so happy with what he found that he threw a big fiesta.

......great work Dude..... ;)
I dont have cd in my hands so i'm not able to check.....but all of you who purchased it...please check it out.
I think...it's time to update the black list ;)
Mention this to me

Megadave

Postby VicSpeed » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Can you post here the mistakes?

Thank you!
VicSpeed

Postby theserialthrilla » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:06 pm

hold your horses guys....lets not add people to black lists before we have a full answer
theserialthrilla

Postby nopey23 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Don't the people who sell the fake items usually keep listing them even after its figured out?

I mean... IF this is a fake... wouldn't he have spread it out over a few weeks (as opposed to selling all in one day) to maximize the $$ and continued selling until the $$ went away?

I dunno... it doesnt LOOK like a perfectly authentic item, but the seller seems OK and the situation doesn't seem so weird outside of it not popping up until now.

Hard to say... and I doubt we'll get an official verdict from anyone anytime soon!
nopey23

Postby Megadave » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:15 pm

nopey23 wrote:Don't the people who sell the fake items usually keep listing them even after its figured out?

I mean... IF this is a fake... wouldn't he have spread it out over a few weeks (as opposed to selling all in one day) to maximize the $$ and continued selling until the $$ went away?

I dunno... it doesnt LOOK like a perfectly authentic item, but the seller seems OK and the situation doesn't seem so weird outside of it not popping up until now.

Hard to say... and I doubt we'll get an official verdict from anyone anytime soon!

Usually..a fake seller put the first copy on auction....wait its end,then send a private mess to all bidders.."hey u're lucky..i have a spare copy...are u interested?"
This time pulgar needed not to do this because he already received enough pms 10 mins later cd was on auction....he only had to sell the copies!!! :twisted:
Mention this to me

Megadave

Postby PaJo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:37 pm

nopey23 wrote:Don't the people who sell the fake items usually keep listing them even after its figured out?

Hi, i'm going to give you my answers to your questions ( just my opinion )
First --- no, not everybody that sells fake items keep listing them, everything depends if they want to get caught or no. this seller been a massive seller probably he makes is living out of it ( ebay ), and on ebay if you are caught selling a fake/ilegal item you get a warning, after a few warnings your account is suspended or worst you can be expulsed forever.
Two --- in my opinion the opposite. i'm shure by now every seller on ebay knows that pjcollectores pay crazy money for pearl jam stuff, specially if it is rare, so if you are selling a rare pearl jam promo cd ( like this one that nobody ever saw it on ebay before ), first you don't put a price on it that cheap and the buy it now option, you put it in auction. because you know that if the cd is real and not fake, people are gonna pay crazy money for it. and if you have more than one copie you spread it out over a few weeks so you get the most $$ possible ( the cd is real so you don't have nothing to fear ). now if you are selling something fake, you will be selling it as quick as possible before somebody finds out that is a fake and starting spreading the word about it, and if you don't want to get caught don't be greedy, sell a few not to many.
Three --- the seller seems ok? for the many years that i've been on ebay most sellers that i saw selling fake stuff they all seem ok, none of them had a label saying " we sell fake stuff ". and with this new fashion of the sellers only leaving feedback once the buyer leaves it first for them, it's hard for the buyer to say anything bad about the seller because if you do, you know that the seller is going to stain your feedback with bad comments too, and nobody wants that.
Four --- it doesn't look weird to you, but to me it looks very weird. in over two years we never saw a single copie. the promo cd was made to promote pearl jam in that 4 countries that are stated in the cardsleeve, never saw one seller from one of that countries selling that promo cd and now suddendly we have a bunch of copies coming from mexico, and all from the same seller. :o ( this is just my opinion )
PaJo

Next

Return to Pearl Jam Discography