November 17 1998, Paramount Theater

Share your Pearl Jam's Tour Experiences

November 17 1998, Paramount Theater

Postby MLB.MB.PJ » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:33 am

Ok, my friend Larry and I were huge fans of "Nothings Shocking", Janes Addictions debut record and when they were announced to be playing a show at Seattles Paramount Theater we scored tickets right away. It wasn't until later that we found out that two Seattle bands were opening the show. We had heard of Soundgarden before, Larry had transferred his "Ultramega OK" record onto cassette and we had blasting that for months. But the other band, Mother Love Bone, we hadn't heard of. Little did I know that THIS SHOW would change my life forever. And you know what? We paid FOUR DOLLARS for our tickets. FOUR DOLLARS!!!!!

We show up at the Paramount and its packed. It was cold out but the Paramount was a fucking hot box. The walls were actually sweating. When Mother Love Bone started and the singer strutted around the stage I remember thinking to myself "who does this guy think he is?" but he was infectious and so was his band. I had "Mindshaker Meltdown" on my brain for weeks after. I was a hooked MLB fan and signed up on their fan club/mailing list in the lobby between sets.

Soundgarden took the stage and it was like getting hit in the head with a wall of sound. While MLB was kinda groovy, Soundgarden was heavy and dirgy and LOUD. I had no idea at the time who was who in the band, all I knew was that guy with the big fucking hair playing guitar was fucking godhead. He rarely looked up but when he did he actually kinda scared me.

Janes Addiction delivered to goods. As I said I loved Nothings Shocking and they killed it. I just remember the crowd pulsing during Pigs In Zen and feeling like "this is how rock is supposed to be".

Before this I had only been to concerts at big arena's (Sammy Hagar at the Tacoma Dome, Judas Priest at the Coliseum, ect).

This show opened my eyes. It made me want more, And while I loved music before this show, I loved live music even more because of this show. Incredible
MLB.MB.PJ

Re: November 17 1998, Paramount Theater

Postby rival » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:22 am

I love reading little recollections like this. Thanks.

But 1998? 1989 maybe :)
rival

Postby MLB.MB.PJ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:07 am

rival wrote:I love reading little recollections like this. Thanks.

But 1998? 1989 maybe :)

You are correct, lol, 1989
MLB.MB.PJ

Postby MLB.MB.PJ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:09 am

MLB.MB.PJ wrote:Ok, my friend Larry and I were huge fans of "Nothings Shocking", Janes Addictions debut record and when they were announced to be playing a show at Seattles Paramount Theater we scored tickets right away. It wasn't until later that we found out that two Seattle bands were opening the show. We had heard of Soundgarden before, Larry had transferred his "Ultramega OK" record onto cassette and we had blasting that for months. But the other band, Mother Love Bone, we hadn't heard of. Little did I know that THIS SHOW would change my life forever. And you know what? We paid FOUR DOLLARS for our tickets. FOUR DOLLARS!!!!!

We show up at the Paramount and its packed. It was cold out but the Paramount was a fucking hot box. The walls were actually sweating. When Mother Love Bone started and the singer strutted around the stage I remember thinking to myself "who does this guy think he is?" but he was infectious and so was his band. I had "Mindshaker Meltdown" on my brain for weeks after. I was a hooked MLB fan and signed up on their fan club/mailing list in the lobby between sets.

Soundgarden took the stage and it was like getting hit in the head with a wall of sound. While MLB was kinda groovy, Soundgarden was heavy and dirgy and LOUD. I had no idea at the time who was who in the band, all I knew was that guy with the big fucking hair playing guitar was fucking godhead. He rarely looked up but when he did he actually kinda scared me.

Janes Addiction delivered the goods. As I said I loved Nothings Shocking and they killed it. I just remember the crowd pulsing during Pigs In Zen and feeling like "this is how rock is supposed to be".

Before this I had only been to concerts at big arena's (Sammy Hagar at the Tacoma Dome, Judas Priest at the Coliseum, ect).

This show opened my eyes. It made me want more, And while I loved music before this show, I loved live music even more because of this show. Incredible
MLB.MB.PJ

Return to Tour